So, I have been busy doing lots of stuff to keep the puppetry awesomeness going. I have been doing my best to continue to improve on all levels of the company. The fact of the matter is that so many things are needed to start a puppet company one could get a little lost. So, I decided to break it down into a little list to help myself keep on track.
1. Learn about puppets- This includes history of puppets, how to make puppets, puppet scripts, etc....
2 Puppet Building- You aren't much of a puppet company without these so, start building. Every puppet you make will teach you about puppets. Every puppet I have made has helped me with understanding more and more about construction.
3. Puppet manipulation- So, you have some puppets now. However, you need to learn how to make the puppet believable. There is a big difference in waving a piece of cloth around and having a creature come to life. The key to performance is practice, practice, and more practice.
4. Performance- For people to see your work you need to formulate a story or a short skit. This takes time but it is a lot of fun. Your performance could be just about anything from a puppet running into a wall to a puppet reciting Shakespeare.
5. Business- If you want a real puppet business at some point you have to do the business end. This includes making contacts, web pages, business cards, pricing, keeping records of expenses, etc...
6. Repeat- do all these steps again, but better this time. If you continue to go through these steps and try to improve on each one all aspects of the company will improve at the same time.
Hope this helps someone, as a creative person I tend to get carried away with the fun parts like performing and building so this list helps me stay on track. Hopefully, it will do the same for you.